If you were wondering where the photo of the pie was, well, it had been eaten (the pie, not photo) before I got a chance to take a nice presentable picture. It’s delicious, light and perfect with a nice scoop of vanilla ice cream.
3 crunchy apples
- Wash, peel and thinly slice apples. Place them into a 20cm round baking dish.
- Separate yolks from whites.
- Beat yolks with half of sugar until light in color and thick in texture.
- Beat whites until soft peaks form. Add sugar and beat for another 1-2 minutes until glossy.
- Mix yolks and whites carefully with a spoon. Carefully mix in flour.
- Spread the mixture over apples.
- Bake 30 minutes at 180 and then another 30 minutes at 160 (I would recommend to check your pie after 30 minutes, I found that for my oven 30 minutes is enough for baking this pie to perfection).
- Remove sharlotka from the dish while still hot otherwise it can stick to it if you let it cool down in the dish.
Thanks and enjoy,